Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Source of the Spiral, Part 4

My first experiments involved using a stone to form a divot in watercolor paper. This is a detail from a drawing I made while staying on the island of Møn in 2004.



It was interesting but still not quite what I was getting at so I put it on the back burner for a few years. The idea stuck in my head but also metamorphosed. It was altered by other forms that I saw around me, in particular a wild rose bush whose blooms were extremely abundant. So in 2008 I tried again. Also with paper. This time I used cut up water bottles to support wet paper into rounded forms.



This was getting closer but it wasn't until I switched to canvas and began to sew that it really took shape. Blue Cups is one of the earliest spiral pieces. It was made in 2008 not that long after the last paper attempt. It was organized like the bumpy cement patterns I saw on the street in Harrisburg.




No comments: