Saturday, October 16, 2010

Memory Lane circa 2002

I photograph almost every painting I make. I try to keep them in albums but since I've gone digital they are primarily on the computer. I go through them every now and then. Usually it cheers me up to see how far I've come. Today I found the experience kind of painful. Partly because some of them are so bad and partly because I really love them. Sort of in the way one might love an mean, ugly dog, but still it's love. This painting was born, grew up, and died in a fairly short period of time. I used to think I killed it but I think the truth is more complicated. There are bits and pieces in each phase that I really love. And since we're looking at the photographs and not the actual paintings, I yearn for them. Seriously, I want it back, especially the second to last image with the legs and black dog shapes. I know that I got rid of it all for good reason but right now, looking at them again, I miss them.

Phase 1


Phase 2


Phase 3






Phase 4


Phase 5




Phase 6

1 comment:

rocky canonica said...

wow...talk about memory lane. i haven't thought much about that work in a long time. those paintings were both uneasy to look at but welcoming at the same time. they seemed to have a real sense of who i thought you were...i imagine the new work you're doing is an equal reflection of you but just a different you. sometimes getting nostalgic can be cathartic i think.
r