Saturday, November 12, 2011

American Bittern

I met up with the birding group at Heinz NWR this morning.  It's a beautiful sunny day today even if it did start out a bit chilly.  I have quite a few photos to share but I have to start with these shots of the American Bittern.  It's a fairly rare siting for Heinz and I'm sure I would have walked right by it if it hadn't been for the group.  This may be more photos than you need but I've never seen this bird before, it's elusive, AND it practically modeled for me.  So I can't resist posting them.

Yes, there's an American Bittern in this photo.  That's some seriously good camouflage.

Here he is.  He even keeps his chin up to blend in more effectively.  The yellow feet give him away.





2 comments:

PJ van Zyl said...

wow great camouflage

denisjpb said...

Great photos here Colleen. Way to go!