Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Studio

My latest plan to spend rainy days at the studio and sunny days outside is working out heavily in favor of the studio this week.  That's okay because it feels great to be back in the studio after the whole couch rest/foot thing.  A little painting first and then I wrestled some canvas covered rope through the sewing machine with some pieces of upholstery fabric that I painted on four or five years ago.  And I am NOT using the word "wrestle" lightly.

A bunch of these (maybe around 30 of them but possibly not this one since I'm thinking of keeping it around a little longer):


Are getting sewn into these (you can see the rope sticking out on the left):


Initially to do this (which just wasn't doing it for me):


So today I cut up a bunch of this (made @ 2005-ish, charcoal and gesso on upholstery fabric):
 

I sewed the "cording" all around my upholstery fabric, first in a neat rectangle and then any old way I could get it through the machine.  A serious workout for my hands and I had charcoal everywhere but, I think it's going to be interesting.