Sunday, December 16, 2012

Wallpaper



 

Designs by Joy Waldinger




Designs by Katherine Videira

More artwork, this time from my color theory class's final assignment.  I had them read the short story The Yellow Wallpaper (1899) by Charlotte Perkins Gilman which describes a woman's decent into madness helped along by the wallpaper in her bedroom.  Each student made two 8"x8" panels from cut paper using the same 4 colors and the same design.  The idea was to alter the emotional response the design created just by altering the proportions of the 4 colors.  I created the repeated "wallpaper" myself after scanning in their designs because they didn't have enough time to do it themselves.  As a result the repeats aren't perfect.  Next time I'll shave some time off the early assignments and have them print out a copy of the pattern repeated.  

No comments: