Sunday, September 21, 2008

AUCLATDOTW : 8 : Chopping Grapes


Olivia took this photo of the grapes she chopped for my favorite food these days, chicken curry salad. It would be even better if I made some pita to go with it but I never quite get that far. I did manage to get Matt to buy the yeast. I've been thinking a lot about art lately. I had sort of a revelation about my work. Whatever is strong about it is not usually readily apparent. Instead it grows (like fungus maybe-ha) on one in much the same way that people come to appreciate me personally. People do not see me and assume that I am a serious and interesting artist. Luckily I was inspired by Alice Neel's work in college so I have a role model for matronly looking people who are actually not. It does really affect my work since so much is decided based on impulse (how the work looks not how I look). I'd like to understand more about how it all works so I am tossing that thought about in my mind. I'm also listening to Steven King's "On Writing" in the car. He talks a bit about the creative process. Or maybe he just encountered some of the same problems that all artists encounter.

No comments: