Friday, April 16, 2010

Dirt

"image of dirt"

Working in my community garden plot today made me think of my blog. I'm missing a lot of last years enthusiasm because of the weeds. I think I was too ashamed to post a photo of my garden at the end of last summer.

"image of garden submerged by some crazy vine weed"

But as you can see here (in your minds eye) it wasn't pretty. So I waited until the day after the last possible moment to go dig some dirt. Yesterday was the 'must plant by date.' I don't feel so terrible ignoring it since it's too early for most of what I want to plant. But I went over and spent an hour making a row. I've altered my expectations. Last year I actually laid out a pretty design. This year I dug a row and put down kale, spinach, two kinds of lettuce and radish. And my only objective is to protect the row. I must defend the row from the diabolical weeds. This will be even more difficult because I didn't actually remove all the weeds from my little trenched off row. I just buried them.

No comments: