Thursday, July 29, 2010

Look Quick


This is part of a larger work. I love this part but it's really not working. I thought about cutting it out and saving it. In the end I decided I need it's texture to be there underneath. I've been working on this painting for a month and a half now. It would be nice to finish it...sometime.
In the mean time I read a great book. "An Anthropology of Everyday Life" by Edward T. Hall. It's a very interesting account of how all the things Hall experienced in life lent themselves to his understanding of the world. It was inspiring in many ways. He explores some of the varieties in the ways cultures function including Navajo, Hopi, Artists, Hispanic, Military, Government, University, French, German, and basically every culture he encountered in his unusual, complex life. Also, how those differences create communication problems between people. But my favorite of all is the way he used all that he experienced and learned to create his life's work which is after all what an artist does.

No comments: