Friday, July 1, 2011

Cedar of Lebanon




Thursday we went to Tyler Arboretum. Olivia and a friend were catching butterflies for the butterfly house and I was going to sit and draw. I left the girls to their work and walked out to the farthest tree in the arboretum. I spent a lot of time debating which tree, which place to sit. I found a great tree that was near a road the maintenance crews use but that brought back memories of almost getting run over sitting on a sand "road" at the Hubbell Trading Post. Sitting on an even rarely used road can be dangerous, especially if you are partially concealed behind a very large rabbit bush and the driver has NO reason to imagine anyone would be sitting on the road! Anyway, I finally picked my tree, unpacked my tarp, used my bug spray, and sat down to draw...only to discover I'd left my oil pastels in the car!! I had nothing whatsoever with which to draw. SO...I walked all the way back to the car and instead drew a tree nearer to the exit. This tree in fact. It's a stunning Cedar of Lebanon, about 180 years old.

No comments: