Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sapsucker Drama





As the sun started to set on Sunday I found these Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers chasing each other around this tree.  The male seemed determined to get her attention and she seemed determined to be left alone to peck the tree.  He tried coming at her from below, from the side, and from above.  It was pretty funny to watch him siddle down the tree.  He flew in and out a number of times while she just kept working away.  At one point the male seemed to be chased away by this male Red-bellied Woodpecker.  I don't know what he was up to.  The female ignored him too and after sampling a few spots on the tree the Red-bellied flew away and the Sapsucker returned.  As of March I had never seen a sapsucker before.  I was pretty excited to see the one my dad found in Virginia.  I have to admit I was pretty amazed not to just see these two love birds but dozens of sapsuckers.  How have I missed them up till now??

No comments: