Sunday, January 6, 2013

Per Kirkeby



Yesterday I drove down to DC to see the Per Kirkeby show at the Phillips Collection.  I met my sister, who lives nearby the museum, for breakfast before we walked over to the show.  They didn't allow photos of the exhibition so these images are screen grabbed from the museum's blog.

After walking through the show we sat and watched two films about Kirkeby.  The first, Per Kirkeby Winter's Tail (1996) by Jesper Jargil, is a great process film.  The second, Per's Method, is a documentary from 2008 featuring Poul Erik Tojner in conversation with Per Kirkeby about his works at the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Denmark.  I visited the museum in 2004 and really fell in love with Kirkeby's work.  Seeing the works and listening to the films 8.5 years later I realize what a strong influence Kirkeby has had on my work.

No comments: