Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I wonder if I can...

I was working away in the studio yesterday. If you look at the post below you won’t be surprised when I tell you I was sewing. And cutting. And sewing. My poor machine hasn’t seen this much abuse…ever. And the scissors…well…I was careless the last time I cut and pasted so my scissors (and I have at least 3 pair in the studio if you don’t count the ones that actually fell apart but that I haven’t thrown away yet.) each have unique abilities and disabilities. As a result, each cutting chore requires a different pair of scissor. I am seriously considering buying a new pair.

Anyway, while I was working I had the thought “ohhh, I wonder if I can…” and I realized that it’s been a long time since I felt personally challenged in my own work. I’m excited to find out if I can create this form I’m thinking of. It’s a technical challenge but more than that a painting challenge. I don’t just want to make the form, I want to find out if it’s possible to make a good painting out of it.

I didn’t even know I was missing it, but now that it’s occurred to me I realize I can’t live without that sense of excited discovery in my work. Why have I up until now?????

No comments: