Sunday, October 12, 2008

Political Vomit

I got home from my open studio in time to watch the second half of a movie with Matt & Olivia. They were watching Robert Redford & Jane Fonda in Electric Horseman. He’s stolen a horse she the reporter… Anyway, Fonda’s character, Hallie, is setting up to interview Redford’s character, Sonny. He goes off on an elegant tirade about what he’s doing and why without knowing that Hallie is already recording him. Then for his “official” recording he delivers an awkward and stilted explanation. I can’t tell you how many times that happens to me. What happens between “free to just talk” and “the official story” that ruins everything?

I’m writing a proposal for a national parks residency that I really want to do but all that comes out is drivel. After several pages of effort I decided to eliminate the words “nature” and “environment” from my writing. That’s the challenge now: write a statement about going out into nature and being influenced by the environment without using either word. I have to admit that removing those words feels like a burden lifted. Maybe it’s all the politics that have me wanting to remove buzz words! I’ve warned Matt that if he uses any of the campaign slogan/buzz words in my presence I’ll vomit all over him. Seems extreme but I do feel like that’s what those words and phrases are doing to me. It’s very upsetting to think how many people are convinced by those simplistic jargons.

No comments: