Sunday, October 5, 2008

Making Things

What motivates the primal desire to make things? Is it left over from days when everything had to be made? Or is it just the satisfaction of observing the growth of the thing you are making? Personally I don’t know the answer. I feel a drive to keep going, to make the next thing. I spend a portion of the time it takes to make things dreaming up what I will make next. It’s frustrating that my mind moves so much faster than my creative abilities. While making one item I usually manage to come up with hundred of plans for what to make next. Eventually I decided the best plan was to let your mind dream but save the actual decision about what’s next for after you’ve finished what’s now. Making and planning what to make do occupy a significant amount of my time.
This year for the first time, I am making every gift I will give this Christmas. Often this urge to make gifts comes upon me too late to be useful. (Sometimes even after Christmas!) But this year I have managed to plan ahead. In January I’ll post a photo of everything- an installation piece! The photo will have to wait until then so as not to spoil any surprises.

In September I posted photos taken in macro lens mode. For October I anticipate less photos and more musings. I’ll try to tackle a new topic everyday. My goal has been to post daily although so far that’s more of a dream than reality. But there’s nothing like a good goal. Feel free to suggest topics and offer comments.

No comments: