Thursday, November 20, 2008

Splurge


Yesterday, partly to bribe myself into taking my latest part time job and partly because I've been wanting to make this drawing for a while, I bought a set of Prismacolor pencils. And because I REALLY don't want this new part time job I bought the biggest set they have. Oh yeah, and the special Prismacolor sharpener. So now I'm financially obligated. Who knows, maybe I'll even like it. The job that is. I already love the pencils. I've been making grid based work for a few years, concurrent to my other work. In a lot of ways it's much more similar to the knitting process than the painting process, methodical and repetitive. Under normal circumstances I'm a generalist. Specific details are easy for me to leave out so the grid process helps me to connect to a very deliberate recognition of detail. In the studio I'm finishing up the graphite fireworks drawing and now...in the works...a drawing made out of my new colored pencils.

Yesterday afternoon I called on my neighbor and sharpened 71 (I missed 1) pencils while we sat and chatted. It took the entire hour and a half. (Just a warning if you find yourself following suit...put down the pencils when talking about upsetting subjects. I sharpened one of my pencils down and entire inch without realizing it!!!)

No comments: