Friday, May 1, 2009

Studio Notes

This week has been very busy in the studio. Yesterday, in particular, I pulled out all the stops. First up, the scale painting is still in progress and gradually growing. I'm concerned about the strength of the thread vs. the weight of the piece. Right now it's @ 6feet wide and 3feet tall. My plan is to make it at least 6feet tall, but I'm afraid it will pull itself apart. It may have to be constructed in sections. I don't want to do that because the way it pulls on itself impacts the way it hangs so making it in sections will change that. We shall see.


I also pulled out some drawings from last summer to work back into.


And then I started pulling out all my old work. I'm looking for things to scavenge for my scale piece. I'd also like to pare down my storage section. I think this one still has some merit, but the pieces on stretchers are just not...broken glass downstairs brb.

Ok, glass picked up and all children off to their various buses. Now, I was saying, the first works I made layering canvas were glued onto stretchers. Something about the stretcher seems to limit the works, maybe contain them. At any rate I'm torn because I still like some of the stretched pieces but they just don't have the strength of the unstretched works.

1 comment:

cocs said...

i like the photo of the new piece!