Saturday, January 28, 2012

Hiking


One of my favorite genres of non-fiction is the hiking adventure memoir.  I've read several books people have written after hiking the Appalachian Trail, one about a walk across Afghanistan, and one through the Gobi desert.  Most recently I read "Following Atticus" about a guy and his dog hiking the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  As I was reading I began to think about my hiking limitations (about 5 miles) and how I would need to expand those limitations (about 13-30miles) to get to the top of some of those mountains.  As a result I've begun to hike at least three miles every other day.  I just finished my first week.  3.5 miles on Sunday, Tuesday, and Saturday and @5miles on Thursday.  Thursday I limped home and collapsed on the couch and didn't move until Friday morning.  So I am happy to say that after this mornings 3.5 mile hike I walked around a little more and then went to the grocery store.  (And my toes didn't even hurt.)  We'll call that progress.  It was all totally worth it just to take that photo of the water this morning.  What a beautiful day. 

And in case you are interested here are the titles and authors of the books I mentioned:
"Following Atticus" by Tom Ryan
"Walking the Gobi" by Helen Thayer
"The Places in Between" by Rory Stewart
"Walking Home" by Kelly Winters

2 comments:

sally said...

love that photo, hey call me I lost all my contacts, but give me some time the new phone is plugged in, some things never change! Good luck with the show!

PJ van Zyl said...

lovely abstract photo