Thursday, September 16, 2010

Squirrel!









Matt and Olivia left me on the Anvil Trail for a while yesterday. As I was sitting there I heard a huge ruckus behind me. Over my left shoulder I saw tiny squirrels flying through the brush. One, finding me in his path, halted his forward motion quickly dodging behind a bush. He watched me for awhile before finally emerging. He stood a few feet away from me and flicked his tail. When that didn't scare me away he leaped into a tree. There he became bold and offered up a series of high pitched clicking noises periodically punctuated by a loud low churp. This churp was accompanied by a tail swoosh. He tried all of his defensive vocalizations but stopped short of throwing a pine cone at me which Ranger Kate says they sometimes do. In the end he decided I wasn't much of a threat and scampered off. As he did so he took care to dodge behind whatever rocks he could.

No comments: