Monday, March 12, 2012

Asarum splendens

I stopped by Swarthmore College on my way home today to see what treasures the Scott Arboretum held now that it's spring (a month early.)  One of the plant guys (professor, botanist, etc) was out hard at work and very happy to share information with me.  I wandered away to take photos until I heard him call out to a student worker.  He asked her if she would like to see something kind of cool that was flowering that he almost didn't see.  Well, I totally wanted to see something kind of cool cause I know if he almost missed it I certainly did.  At first I thought I should restrain myself and stay out of their way.  Which lasted about a minute when I dashed over to see the Asarum splendens.  These amazing flowers are low to the ground because they are fertilized by ants.  So I got to see something cool and learn something too. 






No comments: