Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Worst Idea Ever





Here's the latest update on this piece.  I'm thinking of it as a cross between a couch and a Lee Bontecou work.  I saw her retrospective at MCA in Chicago in 2004, way before I was cutting and sewing things.  At the time I was equal parts fascinated and repelled but obviously it made a huge impression on me.  And here we are 8 years later, an idea that started out being motivated by a friend's photos of lava has morphed into this big blobby form.  As it's coming together I'm pretty excited but I have to say this is my WORST idea ever.  This thing is a major pain in the butt not to mention hands, knees, and face.  Just ask Olivia who helped me with it on Monday.  I need to make a video of what it takes to maneuver these pieces through the sewing machine.

No comments: