Thursday, July 5, 2012

Storks!





Our first order of business after flying from NYC to Brussels was to drive out to Het Zwin, a nature preserve near the town of Knokke-Heist not too far from Brugges.  This was a last minute addition to our trip because I found out they have storks.  So after no sleep on the plane, Matt drove our rental car (diesel, stick shift car in the pouring rain) to Het Zwin (about an hour from the airport) so that I could look for storks and other birds.  It was like hitting the jackpot.  The birds were everywhere.  I spent two hours walking through the reserve while Matt and Olivia slept in the car.  When the storks came close to the car (seems like someone threw them bread) I tried to rouse Olivia and Matt (to no avail.)  The storks made a great CLACKing sound when they snapped their beaks together.  Totally awesome.  So I let the sleeping beauties rest for another hour before I pushed them both out of the car to look at the storks.

No comments: