Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Grid Story

So that was the end of the train story. What about the end of the grid story? Well that’s still a work in progress. Matt tells me to think of the grid work as related to my art in the same way that lifting weights is related to a football player’s work. But I really think there’s more to it than that. I can’t see what it is yet and that kind of thing just can’t be rushed. Eventually I may come to understand how it all fits in but in the mean time I’ll just keep making them.

The new sewn canvas pieces are definitely incremental. It’s not illusionary in the same way that the grid based drawings and paintings are, but the incremental aspect is critical to the works. I suspect that might be where my methodical and gestural impulses will meet and generate the amazing stuff I’ve been dreaming of. In the mean time it’s a hell of a journey.

1 comment:

cocs said...

from a distance, i thought those were shingles.