Monday, September 19, 2011

Duchamp and DeKooning

Marcel Duchamp, The Passage from Virgin to Bride, 1912
I happen to LOVE this painting.  I do not know why the Museum of Modern Art chose to hang it two feet over my head.  Seriously, I'm going to bring my own ladder next time.  This seems like a pretty good reproduction but it's still nothing like looking at the painting.  Of course I'm saying this from memory since this time I couldn't really see it when I was standing below (I mean in front) of it.  Argh. 

Willem de Kooning, 1948
De Kooning's paintings are so big that they can hang them from the ceiling and they'll still be on my eye level.  MOMA's retrospective of DeKooning is really great.  There were a number of these black and white paintings which I love for personal reasons.  It looks very much like the piles of rock I've been looking at although apparently they are all body parts.  There are so many more great images from the show.  If you can't make it to NYC check out this site for more images.

No comments: